Sunday, January 01, 2012
2012 One Word ResolutionLive | View Comments | permalink
In the middle of the 2011 I finally jumped on the One Word Resolution bandwagon and chose something to motivate me to be my best and also enjoy myself : CREATE
Since that day I can't pretend that I kept it in mind every day, but CREATE crept into my life in big and small ways. I worked hard to create what I hope are lasting friendships within my cohort and program. I created opportunities for myself on both Santa Fe College's campus and University of Florida's campus to be involved, and hopefully respected. I created opportunities for the students that I work with to be challenged and succeed. I created a beautiful space for the people I love to live in (actually, I just lent a helping hand while Wayne created a space for us). All in all, I find that my one word successfully propelled me towards looking at things a little differently. This year, however, I will make some sort of reminder for myself - either a plaque for the door at home or notes in my calendar to remind me of my new one word resolution.
- ful·fill [fool-fil] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
- to carry out, or bring to realization, as a prophecy or promise.
- to perform or do, as duty; obey or follow, as commands.
- to satisfy (requirements, obligations, etc.): a book that fulfills a long-felt need.
- to bring to an end; finish or complete, as a period of time: He felt that life was over when one had fulfilled his threescore years and ten.
- to develop the full potential of (usually used reflexively): She realized that she could never fulfill herself in such work.
I have spent this year creating roles for myself. A challenge for me is finishing projects - my strength is Activator, not Achiever for those of you who have taken StrengthsQuest2.0. So now it's the year to focus on fulfilling those roles, realizing my potential as a partner, a homeowner, a gardener, someone who lives riotously, the OCES graduate assistant, the housing practicum, a student, a friend, a daughter, a sister, the advisor of Soul Sisters, etc. I need to fulfill all of the promises that I have made, explicit or implicit, to myself and my employer and my loved ones. It would be impossible to add anything else to my plate at this moment in time, so what I need to make sure I do is get the most out of every amazing opportunity I have created for myself in 2011. I'm excited and nervous about this word. It will be harder for me that Create was. Wish me luck.