I’m a list person. Lists help me stay organized and motivate me and remind me to do things like buy laundry detergent, bring brownies to work for a birthday party, and have picnics. I legit just realized that I’m going to be 30 in like, 7 months, and that seems like a fucking reason to CELEBRATE!
My twenties have been a freaking great time, for real. In fact, I’m going to do a 20 things I learned in my 20s post before this year is done (HEY! That’s my new first item!) so that I can reflect on it and tell all you disenchanted youth about it. I know the Riotous Living blog is the hot hang out spot for disenchanted youth and I don’t want to let all of my loyal readers down.
The great thing is that I’ve heard from so many people that your 30s is actually even better than your 20s! I know I’m supposed to be all sad and worried about getting old but what do I have to be sad about? … besides my new weird skin and the intense hangovers and having to wake up to pee in the middle of the night. That’s all pretty weird but seems par for the course. In reality I’ve hit so many stereotypical major life milestones in the past decade that I never expected to meet. If you had told 20 year old me that I would be married and living in my huge 2nd house and planning an entrepreneurial venture I would laugh in your face and then order us some shots of whiskey.
So let’s celebrate the last 7 months of my roaring twenties with some good times and a little edification. But let’s also be realistic here because I’ve only got 7 months and I am an adult and so that means realism right?
- Write a 20 Things I Learned In My 20s Blog Post and maybe one of those pretty pictures that allow it to be pinned.
- Go on a boat ride. This one is pretty realistic right? I know people with boats. And then I can use the #Imonaboat on Instagram.
- Go on an overnight hike. Wayne really wants to do that and I’m nervous about pooping in the woods so let’s compromise and make it just one night, right?
- Finish renovating one room in the house. Because seriously, if we can’t finish that stupid bathroom in 7 months I am a failure.
- Feel strong again. Be able to do 1 pullup and 10 real pushups.
- Learn a new creative skill. I’m not sure what it will be but this lady at the State Fair was selling gorgeous painted eggs and if my chickens would ever start laying maybe I could learn that.
- Develop a skin care routine. See above freakout & pics re: my old lady skin. (no offense to actual old ladies)
- See a play.
Because it’s been too long and I freaking love theatre.Done 1/3/2015! Book of Mormon was amazing!
- Try a fast for at least 24 hours. Rachel says this is really good for you, physically and mentally.
- Complete a 30 day challenge. Photos or abs or yoga or something. GD, woman, commit.
- Volunteer for a good cause. Again, it’s been too long and I really freaking love volunteering.
- Learn to make brownies from scratch. I think this is supposed to be really easy. I’d like to stop buying box mix in my thirties.
- Sell things I grew. It’s kind of the whole point of this farm thing.
- Wear my wedding dress again. My beautiful friend Krystall asked us to wear our wedding outfits to her wedding so that we could all get pictures. It was sweet and wonderful.
- Print and display some of our photos.
- Ride a horse. Save a cowboy
- Send 10 pieces of “for fun” mail. Wedding thank you’s do not count. Also I need to send those out too. Please don’t be mad, adulting is hard. I get a year though, right?
- Find/Develop my signature go-to potluck dish.
- Keep a few hostess gifts on hand for parties. I seriously want to be this perfect womanly adult who sends mail and keeps a beautiful house and has hostess gifts and remembers birthdays. Will that happen overnight at 30?
- Make a cutesy vacation video.
- Make bread from my own starter.
- Learn how to use our gopro. Probably I should put this one before the vacation video bit.
- Host a dinner party using all delicious foods that I grew on this farm. OMG, just thinking about this makes me tear up a bit.
- Quit my office job. If you’re reading this and you work at my job, well that’s like a not secret secret.
- Go through my closet and give away all the stupid practical clothes that I hate or aren’t comfortable or that I don’t feel good in. I should feel good in my 30s cause I freaking love myself.
- Get comfortable with lipstick. That red lipstick at the wedding party that Wayne was not sure about was the best idea ever. Those pictures are awesome. Who knew that I’m like, model pretty? :p
- Enjoy a totally relaxing day by the pool with margaritas. Ya’ll can come.
- Do a 24 hour digital detox. No screens at all!
- Watch 5 movies on the IMD Top 250 list that I’ve never seen.
- Fix the tractor. (Wayne is allowed to help)
I feel like this is a good list. Fun and reflective and good for me. What do you think? Questions, comments, concerns?